Friday 27 April 2007

oh I LOVE the circus space

I just typed up a lengthy post that got deleted by accident!

Anyway- this is was my last official week as an intern and I am really sad to go. I have been infused with even more passion than I came here with and made friends and contacts. I am so happy to have some british friends and acquaintances, something that a lot of people don't have a change to form because we are studying at an american school. I really recommend internships for the reason that you meet people- british people in my case! who help you understand the culture.

Chris, the problem solving, Chelsea football loving IT guy I share an office with took me to Jamie Oliver's restaurant Fifteen. (the naked chef). The food was FABULOUS and the restaurant is a not for profit institution that teaches the homeless to be chefs and employs them. Food and helping people are two of my favorite things in the world. I have been reflecting a lot on what I have gotten out of this experience and what I have contributed to the organization. Although a lot of projects I have initiated have been open ended, hence not instantly gratifying, I know that they will be useful in the future. I have just loved everything I have done and explored here. I hope that I was an asset and that I have raised the bar for future Interns.

today louise, my beyond fabulous superviser threw me a little tea and cake party to say goodbye- it was delicious!

What I love so much about this organization is that people here are relaxed and focused at the same time. I know I would not fit in at an uptight institution where you are afraid to call in sick or wear a certain type of clothing. Here everyone has other outlets of expression as well, whether it is being in a rock band, jazz group, rugby team, or starting a dance company. There is even a circus space netball team that people from all ranks of the institution play on (and they are undefeated). It's good to learn what kind of a professional environment you are most content in. From listening to people talk about other internships I know this is the right place for me!

I'm off to do some work now, but I'll be back at The Circus Space next week to train more and just hang out because I feel so at home here now. I can't wait to visit on future travels to London!

peace,
Amy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How did i JUST discover this site??? I think if i had remembered it while we were in london, i would have harrassed you more.

i love circus.

Unknown said...

Hey there! I had a question about your internship at The Cricus Space - is there any way I can contact you to talk to you through email? Thanks!